KSBA's Member Support/Communications has created a school observation database that covers all sorts of education-related observances that teachers may use in planning classroom instruction: arts, math, science, social studies, history, health, nutrition, technology, safety, holidays and much more. The service is designed to be both a time saver for teachers and administrators as an asset purchased by the district and provided to all employees who may benefit from it.
"I just wanted to send you a 'THANK YOU' for this service. This is going to be 'neat' and for the nominal cost, GREAT! Things like this are what keep KSBA innovative." Superintendent on receiving the first Educator Calendar Planning Service issue.
Here's a sample:
- March 1–31 National Nutrition Month eatright.org
- March 1–31 Music in Our Schools Month nafme.org
- March 1–31 Women’s History Month womenshistorymonth.gov
- March 1–31 Nat’l Middle Level Education Month amle.org
- March 1–31 Youth Art Month arteducators.org
- March 2 Read Across America Day (Dr. Seuss’ birthday) nea.org
- March 2-4 AASA Annual Conference, New Orleans aasa.org
- March 3 World Wildlife Day wildlifeday.org
- March 4 National Grammar Day nationalgrammarday.com
- March 6–10 National School Breakfast Week schoolnutrition.org/nsbw
- March 8 International Women’s Day www.internationalwomensday.com
- March 8-12 St. Elizabeth Healthcare/KHSAA Girls’ Sweet 16, Newport khsaa.org
- March 11-13 KAAC Governor’s Cup State Finals kaac.com
- March 12 Daylight Saving Time starts
- March 14 Pi Day (math studies) exploratorium.edu/pi
- March 15-19 Whitaker Bank/KHSAA Boys’ Sweet 16, Lexington khsaa.org
Among the more than 250 dates/observances – most of which are linked to websites for background information – are such national K-12 events as Teacher Appreciation Week, Drug Abuse Prevention Month, Literacy Week and Educational Support Professionals Day as well as organization meetings like NSBA, AASA and NEA.
And the service includes a variety of Kentucky events such as conferences by groups including KSBA, KASS, KASA, KASC, KEA and KPTA plus other useful date-specific information – for example, KHSAA and KMEA competition timelines, meetings of the Kentucky Board of Education, legislative session dates and more.
Other potential users of this service in a school district include:
- Central office staff who must plan the annual calendar, district schedule changes.
- Principals and SBDM councils who schedule field trips and building-wide celebrations.
An additional feature of this service is that we will update the month-by-month list as needed during the school year, as new events, conferences or other school-interest dates are announced.
A district subscription of $100 will cover any and all employees that the superintendent and district leadership team wishes to share with both the year-long document as well as the updates. We are hoping this tool will be a useful aid that the district can provide to its employees, while saving some staff time spent researching K-12 events that impact the calendar planning and shuffling throughout the year.
For more information, please contact Madelynn Coldiron, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Matt McCarty, email@example.com, or call 800-372-2962.
To subscribe, please complete the attached form and return via scanned email, fax or mail as instructed.