Board members and staff can learn how to engage the local community and the school community in anti-bullying efforts at KSBA’s seminar on the topic, Nov. 14 in Lexington.
Teresa Combs, director of KSBA’s Legal and Administrative Training Service and Jon Akers, executive director of the Kentucky Center for School Safety, will lead the discussion, which will include an update on how bullying and harassment issues have changed in the last five years.
Participants will learn how to protect themselves and the district when individuals make allegations of harassment and bullying against the school system. Information in the seminar can help district and school staff understand how to appropriately investigate and document the district’s response to complaints under federal harassment law and under Kentucky bullying law. Those two types of complaints sometimes overlap, and there are specific requirements for how districts must respond and document their responses to such allegations.
The knowledge gained in the session can keep the district from getting into trouble with the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Office of Civil Rights or the state Office of Education Accountability.
The training includes when and how to investigate and what to document. It also reviews the various policies/procedures and forms KSBA provides in order to navigate these demanding areas of law.
• Responsibilities when conduct violates both federal harassment/discrimination law and Kentucky bullying law.
- Federal protected areas harassment
- Kentucky state bullying law
• Investigation and documentation
• Policy and procedure implementation
- Employee reports of criminal activity
- Child abuse reporting
- Bullying/hazing of students
- Assault and threats of violence
- Disrupting the educational environment
- Harassment of/by students
- Student discipline code
• Dealing with court and federal agency complaints
• Identifying and involving others in bullying prevention
Registration Price: $200 per person
Marriott Griffin Gate Resort
1800 Newtown Pike
Lexington, KY 40511
No cancellations allowed, but substitutions may be made. Register online here http://www.ksba.org/protected/EventView.aspx?id=5YAIPY.