In communications, getting from concept to understanding often takes a bridge from Point A to Point B.
This year’s 18th annual OASIS collaboration between the Kentucky School Boards Association and the Kentucky School Public Relations Association represents two opportunities: measuring the effectiveness of those communications bridges and earning acknowledgment of especially successful efforts.
All entries submitted in the OASIS program are judged by panels of professionals in school and/or government communications who understand about budgets, public engagement and producing quality work.
Recognition will be made during the OASIS Award banquet during the KYSPRA annual conference this fall. An online resource details how judges will be guided to score entries is available here .
For the sixth year, the KSBA OASIS Sweepstakes Awards will honor an overall program in each of the four enrollment-based categories. After announcement at the OASIS ceremony, a KSBA representative will travel to the school board meeting of each of four of the Sweepstakes Award-honored districts for a special presentation.
The OASIS Sweepstakes Awards recognize packages of exceptional entries from school districts. Eligibility is based on submission of at least one entry in three of the five general classifications: print communications, written communications, photography/videography, electronic communications and campaigns/programs. All entries submitted by the district make up the total entry. The average of all scores will determine the Sweepstakes Award honorees in the four classes.
• Entries must have been produced primarily by district employees. Outside contractors or students may assist, but district employees must do more than supervise final product.
• Entries are to have been completed between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014.
• OASIS is open to KYSPRA members or other staff of any public school district with a KYSPRA member. Please confirm your KYSPRA membership status to be eligible to have an entry considered.
• An individual may submit one or two entries per category. Staff from a district may submit as many as four entries per category. There is no limit on the overall number of entries by an individual or a district.
• Each entry must be submitted in a three-ring binder using clear, plastic sleeves inside.
• The cover of each entry binder should have the entrant’s name, district, entry category and class.
• The first sleeve in the binder should have the following information:
Entrant and district names
Entry category name, number and district class
Entry description addressing reasons/goals for the product and the target audience
• Entries must be accompanied by the provided entry form and either a check or purchase order covering the entry fees. A single purchase order or check may be submitted covering multiple entries from a district, but please note the number of entries covered by the check or P. O.
Entries are made in one of four classes based on enrollment:
Class A: district enrollment under 4,000
Class AA: enrollment 4,000 – 9,000
Class AAA: enrollment 9,000 – 15,000
Class AAAA: enrollment more than 15,000
Entry fees are $55 for a first entry, $45 for each additional entry. The entry deadline is Tuesday, July 8.
Here are this year's OASIS entry categories:
1. Annual reports/district report cards
4. Internal publications
5. External publications
6. Tabloid (newsprint) publications
7. One-time publications – (any nonrecurring publication)
8. Miscellaneous printed materials (not covered by other categories)
9. Feature article (published in district publication or online)
10. Feature release (for news media use)
11. News article (published in district publication or online)
12. News release (for news media use)
13. Commentary writing (letter to the editor or commentary column item for news media)
14. Feature Photography – Prints 3 x 5 up to 8 x 10 mounted on board no larger than 8 x 10
15. News/Sports Photography – News events or sports action (submit same as above)
16. Photo essays – Tear sheet as published or print out and submit as above if created only online
17. Videos – Program-length programs produced for broadcast or cable
18. Videos – In-school programs and training videos for in-house use
19. Videos – PSAs and short subject informational videos for broadcast/cable
20. Annual reports or district report cards
21. Websites (List the URL address on the entry description form)
22. Social media pages (Facebook and Twitter)
23. Electronic newsletter – (Give URL of archived newsletter or copy to CD)
24. Miscellaneous electronic communications product/program (not covered by other categories)
25. Special event (single event)
26. Special events (series of events tied to the same subject/goal)
27. Community engagement programs (single product or multi-element program)
28. Academic achievement promotions (single product or multi-element program)
29. Miscellaneous public awareness programs (not covered by other categories)
For more information, please contact Brad Hughes firstname.lastname@example.org at KSBA at 800-373-2962.