Floyd Co. schools to open Aug. 21, despite rumors opening day would be delayed once again because of construction issues; some school districts closing that day because of solar eclipse
Floyd County Times, Aug. 11, 2017
School still set for Aug. 21 start in Floyd
By Mary Meadows
The Floyd County School District addressed rumors this week about the possibility of delaying the opening day of school — yet again.
On July 24, the board of education postponed the start of school, initially set for Aug. 7 for students, until Aug. 21, following reports that the Floyd Central High School construction project would not be completed by Aug. 7.
This week, officials have been working to dispel rumors that opening day will be delayed, once again, because of construction issues.
“The rumor, now, is that there was big line that busted and something caved in up there,” Interim Superintendent Steve Trimble said. “You hear rumors like that all the time.”
He said students and parents can rest assured, however, that school will begin on Aug. 21, as planned at the board’s most recent meeting.
“We are 100 percent going to school on 21st ,” he said on Aug. 10.
Some school districts in Kentucky are calling off classes on Aug. 21 for the solar eclipse. Trimble said the district is planning activities for the eclipse, but those plans are not finalized yet and more information is expected to be released about that at a later date.
In the meantime, construction is continuing, as expected, Trimble said, and only one open house—the grand opening of Floyd Central for the community — has been postponed. It was set to be held Aug. 17, but will be held, instead, in September because the auditorium at Floyd Central will not be done in August. He noted Wes Davis of Codell Construction reported that delay at the last board of education meeting.
Opening day may have been pushed back for some students, but staff have been training throughout the summer at various schools. Some schools held open house events in expectation of an Aug. 7 opening, but several open houses are still planned.
• Aug. 14; 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Open House at Betsy Layne Elementary
• Aug. 14; 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.: Open House for sixth graders at Duff-Allen Central
• Aug. 14; 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Open House for seventh, eighth graders at Duff-Allen Central
• Aug. 14; 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Open House for seniors at Floyd Central
• Aug. 15; 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Open House for K-5 graders at Duff-Allen Central
• Aug. 15; 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Open House for freshmen, Floyd Central
• Aug. 15; 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Open House at May Valley
• Aug. 15; 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Open House at Adams Middle
• Aug. 16; 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Open House for sophomores, juniors at Floyd Central
• Aug. 16; 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Open House at Allen Elementary
• Aug. 16; 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.: Open House at Prestonsburg Elementary
• Aug. 24; 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Open House at Prestonsburg High School
• September, to be announced: Open House for community at Floyd Central