The call is out for entries to KSBA’s 2012 OASIS (Outstanding Achievement in School Information Services) program.
The 16th annual professional development program for public school communications programs is earlier this year than normal. That’s due to a move of the Kentucky School Public Relations Association’s annual conference from the fall to July to coincide with the annual meeting of the Kentucky Association of School Administrators. KSBA presents the OASIS Awards at a session of the KYSPRA annual professional development event.
A pdf version of the OASIS Call for Entries is attached, and a hard copy is being mailed to all KYSPRA members and all superintendents. The program is open to any employee in any public school system that has at least one employee with a KYSPRA membership.
This year’s entry deadline is April 16 and we’ve been able to hold the line on entry fees -- still $55 each for the fourth consecutive year. The fees cover costs of having the 200-plus entries judged, awards engraved and travel expenses for presentation of the four Sweepstakes Awards at a meeting of the local school board of each top participating district.
The OASIS Awards enable entrants to gain a set of professional eyes and ears (two sets, in fact, for each entry!) providing feedback on the quality and effectiveness of everything from news releases , photography, videos and websites to annual reports, community engagement projects and special public events. Judges provide written assessments of each entry, with their scoring used to determine projects meriting special recognition at the KYSPRA conference.
The 30 categories for entries include several changes for 2012. All entries are submitted in one of four classes based on district enrollment.
This year’s entry categories are:
1. Annual reports/district report cards (see online category for that option)
4. Internal publications
5. External publications
6. Tabloid (newsprint) publications
7. One-time publications – (any nonrecurring publication)
8. Miscellaneous printed materials (not covered by other categories)
9. Feature article (published in district publication or online)
10. Feature release (for news media use)
11. News article (published in district publication or online)
12. News release (for news media use)
13. Commentary writing (letter to the editor or commentary column for news media)
14. Publication writing (judges will consider all writing in a single edition of a publication)
15. Feature photography – Portraiture or feature approach photos
16. News/sports photography – News events or sports action
17. Photo essays – Multiple photos on same topic to tell a story
18. Videos -- Program-length programs produced for broadcast or cable
19. Videos – In-school programs and training videos produced for in-house use
20. Videos – PSAs and short-subject informational videos for broadcast/cable
21. Online annual reports or district report cards
22. Internet websites
23. Electronic newsletter – district
24. Electronic newsletter – school
25. Miscellaneous electronic communications product/program (not covered by other categories)
26. Special event (single event)
27. Special events (series of events tied to the same subject/goal)
28. Community engagement programs (single product or multielement program)
29. Academic achievement promotions (single product or multielement program)
30. Miscellaneous public awareness programs (not covered by other categories)
Anyone with questions about the OASIS program is invited to contact Brad Hughes at KSBA at 800-372-2962 or firstname.lastname@example.org.