Through donations and grants, the Kentucky School Boards Education Foundation Inc. provides support to the Kentucky School Boards Association in increasing the effectiveness of school boards, promoting the well-being of students and strengthening public schools. This work is reflected in the foundation’s mission statement.
Through partnerships with other organizations, the foundation seeks to fulfill its priorities of:
- Training/education for school board members
- Community engagement
- Student support services
- School Safety
Examples of Foundation work
The foundation accepted a grant through the Kentucky Department of Education for a School Emergency Management Program. This program funded six professional development safety coaches to provide training, leadership and technical assistance to help local school systems devise a district emergency operations plan in coordination with community stakeholders and emergency service providers.
Through foundation funding, the Kentucky Association of School Business Officials developed for KSBA an updated school finance training curriculum for school board members, along with a series of workshops designed to provide local board teams with a greater knowledge and understanding of their roles and responsibilities in school finance. The workshops also correspond to the KSBA School Board Leadership Guide and fall within the levels of the KSBA Academy of Studies for school board members.
The school boards in Menifee County and Breathitt County benefited from KSBA Board Team Development training and intervention strategies as the districts sought to improve under state management. The first-of-a-kind training and strategies were designed to build capacity and readiness among Menifee County and Breathitt County board members, aimed at resuming full governance. Training focused on finance, effective board meetings and governance coaching. The work was funded via a Kentucky Department of Education contract with the foundation.
Interested in supporting programs like this, or have an idea for a project? The Kentucky School Boards Education Foundation Inc. is an ideal vehicle for education-related contributions that focus on the work and effectiveness of school boards. It is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization, so donations are tax-deductible. For more information, please contact Rachel Noble at 1-800-372-2962, ext. 1203; or Steve Smith at 1-800-372-2962, ext. 1218.
The Kentucky School Boards Education Foundation Inc. is governed by a nine-member board of directors appointed by the president of the Kentucky School Boards Association. Current foundation board members are:
- Joe Brothers, chair; former Elizabethtown Independent school board member and former KSBA president; former chair of Kentucky Board of Education; retired plant manager of Gates Rubber Company, Elizabethtown
- Bill Lovell, member, McLean County school board; former KSBA president; retired from Kentucky Utilities
- Ambrose Wilson IV, member; Woodford County school board; former Secretary of the Kentucky Public Protection Cabinet
- Ben Coomes, member; Eminence Independent school board; former member KSBA Board of Directors; attorney
- Eugene Peel, Secretary, former Jessamine County school board member; former member KSBA Board of Directors; retired from Lexmark Corporation
- Dennis Smith, member; Hazard Independent school board; former member KSBA Board of Directors; retired from American Electric Power/Kentucky Power
- Phyllis Young,Treasurer; former Scott County school board member and former member KSBA Board of Directors; community volunteer
- Ronnie Holmes, member; Graves County school board and KSBA president-elect; business owner
- Kerri Schelling, ex officio; KSBA executive director
Service Contact: Steve Smith