Kentucky's common school system is a state and local partnership. For our students to succeed and our schools to thrive, all members of the partnership must work together. This includes local school board members, state board members, legislators, the governor, the state Department of Education and many other. KSBA’s goal is to create a year-round advocacy program to enhance this partnership. These efforts include:
- Lobbying legislators, regulatory bodies and policy makers
- Continuous coverage of legislative sessions, inlcuding weekly reports during sessions, budget analysis, bill summaries and updates
- Coordinating policy review team to analyze bills and their potential impact on schools
- Conducting biannual legislative survey on member priorities and concerns
- Developing the annual legislative agenda
- Monitoring the regulatory process of the Kentucky Board of Education and the Local Superintendents Advisory Council
- Monitoring federal legislative issues
Each year, KSBA releases a summary of top legislative priorities for the Regular Session of the Kentucky General Assembly to support school boards in advancing public education. View KSBA’s current legislative priorities
For more information on KSBA’s Advocacy efforts, please contact Eric Kennedy, Director of Advocacy, at 1-800-372-2962 or by email
Information empowers school leaders to make complex decisions required of their positions. From major publications and social media content to media relations and marketing, KSBA’s Communications team strives to help district leaders and other education stakeholders close the loop between seeking knowledge and taking informed action. The team collaborates closely with other KSBA departments such as Advocacy, Policy, Board Team Development, etc. in the dissemination of important information. KSBA’s Communications resources include:
- Publications – The planning, research, writing and design of KSBA’s major publications is a primary function of the team. This includes, but is not limited to, the Kentucky School Advocate magazine and the KSBA Aware e-newsletter – both rich with timely Kentucky education news, association happenings and member resources.
- Social media – KSBA maintains an active and influential presence on social media.
- Media relations - Because of the unique roles school boards play in matters of policy and education trends, KSBA is often called on by media outlets to discuss important school-related issues. Access KSBA’s recent news releases.
- Media Contact:
Josh Shoulta, Director of Communications
- Public relations
- Affiliate/exhibitor relations – Communications manages the association’s Affiliate Member, sponsor and exhibitor relationships, as well as the tradeshow components of KSBA conferences.
- Educational Foundation – Communications leads the fundraising (and friend raising) efforts of the KSBA Educational Foundation.
- District resources - KSBA stands ready to support districts with guidance on public relations and marketing issues.
For more information on KSBA’s communications efforts, contact Josh Shoulta, Director of Communications, at 1-800-372-2962 or by email