The Kentucky School Boards Association’s Legal Services team provides resources to help board members understand their responsibilities in an increasingly complex legal environment. KSBA attorneys also work closely with the Policy and Procedures services to ensure local policies are in line with the most up-to-date education law.
KSBA's legal team provides consultations on school law topics, including:
- Open meetings/open records
- Board member eligibility, conflicts and school board governance
- Election Guidance
- Student discipline and student records
- Student searches/drug testing
- Certified and classified employee rights and discipline, including Tenure Act, KRS 161.011 and corresponding case law
- Case law and Attorney General opinions/decisions
- General policy, procedure, legislative and regulatory school law issues
For a summary of KSBA's legal services, click here.