The following guiding principles, formally adopted by KSBA’s board of directors
in 2022, inform the association’s position in support of or in opposition to proposed legislation.
- KSBA supports policies that strengthen local control and decision-making authority in school governance and opposes proposals that may diminish or remove local control.
- KSBA supports continuous operational improvements of our common schools, to help all children in Kentucky develop the required capacities for learning.
- KSBA supports policies and initiatives that better prepare our youngest children for success at the K-12 level and beyond.
- KSBA supports providing school boards and their districts with full funding of all specific funding formulas.
- KSBA will continue to advocate for the removal of, or adequate funding for, currently unfunded mandates.
- KSBA opposes any proposal that would violate federal law or the state constitution.
- KSBA opposes any proposed legislation that would require school boards to expend additional financial resources without the state providing those necessary resources.
- KSBA opposes (re)directing public funds to K-12 schools outside the common school system.