Online Extra: Student service
Kentucky School Advocate
From the Graves County High School Student Handbook:
As part of developing students who will be responsible, contributing citizens, Graves County High School requires each student to participate in community service activities as a requirement for graduation. Community service is work that is performed without monetary or personal benefit for the person doing the work.
Community service hours that will fulfill graduation requirements cannot be performed for family or household members or at for-profit institutions. Community service assignments for discipline cannot count towards the fulfillment of the hours required for graduation.
1) All graduates are required to have completed 30 hours of community service.
2) All students have the opportunity to earn up to 6 hours per year through a school organized Community Service Day.
3) At least 10 of those hours must be served during a student’s senior year.
4) No more than 10 hours may be earned at any single event (i.e., mission trip, charity event, etc.), and hours may begin to accumulate during a student’s freshmen year at GCHS.
5) Proper documentation must be completed by supervisors and submitted by the student to the student’s guidance counselor in order to receive credit.
6) Documentation forms may be found through the Community Service Information link from the GCHS website.